Work experience for school/college students is a valuable introduction to the world of work. Recognising this, C&K Careers organises work experience placements for students who are aged 14-19 with hundreds of companies across all industry sectors.
Recent research, along with our own experience of running an employability programme for unemployed 18 to 24 year olds, confirms that lack of work experience, workability skills and ‘social capital’ are increasingly huge barriers to accessing employment and apprenticeships.
Businesses take part for a variety of reasons:
- helping to develop the workforce of the future
- using the scheme to trial potential employees
- allowing staff to develop mentoring and training skills
- building useful links with local schools and colleges
- promoting their company to potential new customers
Training Providers and support organisations also work with us on the provision of work placements for specific groups of young people and for specialist courses.
We asked employers to rate our work experience service in terms of ease of contact, courtesy, helpfulness, efficiency and organisation – 90% said we were good or excellent.
Through taking part in work experience, young people benefit in many ways:
- gaining employability skills and enhancing their career prospects
- getting insights into their future career choice to make informed decisions
- showcasing their skills, qualities and abilities to a potential employer
In addition, C&K Careers continues to offer work experience services for Key stage 4 and post 16 young people at very competitive prices.
"Our company policy encourages managers to develop their staff and work experience is a valuable opportunity to do this by helping young people to gain experience and to understand what it is like to work in a retail environment." Retail Store Manager
"I am certainly happy to endorse the work of the careers adviser, and the employer liaison officer who helps us out so well with our work-based learning programme".
Headteacher, 11-19 special school
"It was really informative and helped me choose what I want to do." Student
"We have used work experience as a means of assessing candidates’ suitability for working in our industry." Heating & Plumbing Company Director
For further information:
Contact: John, Work-based Services Manager
Call: 01484 225500